Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"If You (God) Say Go . . . We will Go"

Welcome to our blog. This is the "real time" story of a journey we are taking in faith, to bring Kristina home to our family. We do not know all God has planned for Kristina or our family, but we know we are being called to act.

On Saturday, January 16th, I was reading my email when I came across one titled, URGENT NEED. It simply said, "Would you please share the need Kristina has for a family with the group? I am forwarding you the email I was sent by Adoption Associates. She'll age out NEXT MONTH, and we're praying God will move a heart and bring her to her family and give her hope!" This is something we receive in emails at different times. I usually will read, pray and pass them on. My heart can react to many stories, but I have learned to wait and pray and seek His will for our family. I had a strange feeling reading this email, and as I scrolled down and looked at her face, my heart was attached. I didn't know why, but I knew we would be involved. At that moment, my younger son, David, came upstairs and said, "Mom, I have been thinking. I think we are supposed to adopt again." I asked him if he knew what I was reading, and he said, "no." I asked if the kids at school have been talking about any kids needing families, and he said, "no, why?" Then I stood up and let him sit at the computer and read the email. He just smiled and said, "wow."

I decided to leave it alone over night, but the next morning I asked Jon if he wanted to check the email on Sunday morning, January 17th. He read it and just looked at me with concern and what seemed like dare I say, love in his eyes for her. I just gave him the- I am not sure what to do look- and he said we would have to talk some more. We left for church. After the service, Jon went and spoke with a sister in the Lord that travels to do ministry to woman in the Ukraine. He asked what would happen to this young lady if she ages out of the orphanage in the Ukraine? The options were not good, including the possibility of being sold in the sex trade organizations. I could see his concern and Christ like love he had for Kristina.

The call from God to act was happening, to all of us, but the circumstances were more than we could handle on our own. We didn't believe we would qualify because we do not have any of the money to move forward with this. We just felt like if she could just be picked up and dropped off in our home, there would be no question we wanted her to be our daughter. We have food, clothing, and lots of love, but no way to do an international adoption. It seemed impossible.

At home Sunday evening, my prayer calendar said, "Lord, help me to remember to live not in my own strength, but by the power of Your Spirit living in me. Forgive me for the times I have forgotten to do that. Enable me to grow in the things of Your kingdom so that I can become a whole, properly functioning, contributing, productive child of Yours who moves forward in Your purpose for my life."

God both raised up the Lord and will also raise us up by His power.
1 Corinthians 6:14


On Monday, January 18th Jon said I should call our home study organization from our previous adoption in 2007. He wanted me to tell them what we have had happen since then, and tell them we don't have the funds for this, but if God provided a way, would we still qualify to adopt Kristina? I couldn't believe it when they said, "yes." I was mixed with excitement and doubt at the same time. I knew that this adoption was going to cost a lot, and I was still allowing my own abilities to make things happen get in His way. I called the contact number and found out we only had 2 days to get the document to immigration to be stamped before her birthday, because when she turns 16, she will not be allowed to be adopted in the US. We were told the forms would need to have a check for $750.00 go with them. We didn't have it. Jon was unreachable at work, and I didn't know what to do next, were we going to move forward and see if God was going to provide this miracle? Was that what He wanted us to do?

I went to a basketball game, and a friend of mine said, "Is it true? The rumor I heard?" What rumor I asked, figuring someone might have said we were asking about Kristina or something. "That you are adopting a girl from the Ukraine?" I just smiled. "I don't know, but we think God is telling us to do something," I responded. Many people came to me during that game and showed us that His church wanted to reach out, now we would have to wait on Jon and what God was telling him.

When he came home, everything seemed to need to be done so quickly and again looked overwhelming. He had thought about her all day. He decided that if we put the need out in the morning, and it was met by the end of the day, I should take the first step and mail the form. We went to bed, and read our yearly Bible devotions.

"Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it's in your power to help them. If you can help your neighbor now, don't say, "Come back tomorrow, and then I'll help you." Proverbs 3:27-28

My Tuesday, January 19th started at 6:00 A.M. The word was out, everyone was waiting to hear if it was a "go" from Jon. I posted the news on facebook, and the Lord flipped a switch. My telephone was ringing, my cell phone was ringing, and for the first time ever, my facebook page chat area was so full it had an arrow showing there were more names that were not showing. Everyone was gone, Jon at work and the boys at school. Our 2 year old Naomi was playing, and I was in this crazy, but exciting whirlwind of activity. Miraculously, by 10:00 A.M. we had $750.00. I posted that the need was met, and God just flipped the switch off. Everything became calm (except my heart) and I just sat or paced in awe! I felt like laughing, dancing, crying, all at the same time. I finally had time to read my prayer calendar. It said,

"He is a God who can be found. A God who can be known. A God who wants to be close to us. That's why He is called Immanuel, which means 'God with us.' But He draws close to us as we draw close to Him."

The boys came home from school and Matt said he asked his class to pray for his future sister. I was able to share what happened at home in the morning and they were blown away and all smiles. Matt said, "I think it is really meant to be."

I phoned our contact person, and she began to help fill out the information needed on the forms. She needed to get more information from the Ukraine, so I waited for her return call. We were blessed to find out that (as usual) God knew all the details others did not. Her birthday was wrong, and instead of needing to get that paper in the next day, we now had a slightly bigger window. Instead of it being Feb. 2, it is Feb. 22. AND A GOOD THING TOO! We also found out that we couldn't drive or overnight the documents to Portland, but would need to send them to Texas now. All forms MUST go to Texas first. Praise our God for getting us moving forward, so we will have time to meet the requirements to bring Kristina home. We also found out that we needed $830.00 instead of $750.oo. God knew that too, because He provide enough to meet this need.

Today I have finished the forms, copied documents, and was blessed by Tonya who got this blog up and running. Be patient with me as I learn how to use this site. Thank you for being interested in Kristina's future. We are praying for lots of God's children to rally around this young lady and lift her out of danger, and bring her to our home. We will be posting regularly as God continues to show us the next step. We believe she could be here fairly quickly if the funds for the process are available, so we are going to trust in God's timing. The total need will be around $30,000, maybe a bit more or less. We know this seems so large to us, I can hardly say the number, but to God, it is nothing. It is 300 people giving $100. Or many other ways. Only He knows, and we are going to have faith that whatever His will be for Kristina and our family, He will lead.

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
James 4:8

Grace and Peace to you and your family.




5 comments:

Tonya said...

Linda! What a beautiful beginning to an amazing journey you're about to embark on! I loved reading the whole story. Very neat about David :)
We'll be praying for all of you!

PS. I tried to leave a comment and it wouldn't let me...soooo....I went in to your account and fixed it. I hope that's OK. I won't go in again without asking :) If you want this off I can show you how.

Linda said...

Thank you for all your help! You are a blessing. ;0)

Lisa R. said...

Hi Linda! I am a friend of a friend and also the mom to 2 adopted daughters (ages 2 & 13.5 at the time) and 3 bio. kids. How many adoptions have you done previously? How old were the kids? While we are in no position to help financially, I'd love to help be a cheerleader/emotional crutch/etc. Whatever you need! Blessings and prayers for a smooth adoption journey...

Linda said...

Hi Lisa,
Thank you so much, cheerleaders needed. ;0)
We have had one other adoption, bringing Naomi, our now 2.5 year old to us. We have a very open adoption with her birth mom, and we were with her from before birth. It was an amazing God story of miracles and blessings. We have a 17.5 boy named Matt and a son David who is going to be 15 very soon. I always said "I am not going to do an international adoption." God is showing me again that once you give Him control, you need to stop trying to run the show. Ha Ha. I am just now coming down from the crazy activity we have had the last few days, and getting a chance to take a breath. I really appreciate your support. I am sure I will need it. I HATE flying. ;0) Thanks for reaching out and starting a new friendship. I look forward to talking again.

Patty said...

I am so excited to see what God has in store for our families and I can't even begin to imagine how exciting the next year is going to be!!! Praise God!

Love,
Patty