Thursday, July 1, 2010

HOSPITALITY: The Gift of Welcome

I know, interesting title. My power was out today for hours, and Naomi went down for a nap, so I spent some quiet moments in the Word and talking to the Lord. There is certain scriptures that catch my attention and then stick for such a long time, that I keep going back and "chewing on them" a little more each time. I grabbed a different Bible today, and was really blessed by the study notes and extra thoughts that were added to it. I thought I might share these for many reasons today. First, the holiday of the 4th is coming up, and we all tend to have extra people in our lives during these events. Second, the Ukrainian Hosting program is going to be coming here to speak about hosting orphans, and third, just because it is good for all of us, all the time. ;0)

1 Peter 4:7-8
The end of the world is coming soon. Therefore, be earnest and disciplined in your prayers. Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a mulititude of sins. Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay.

The notes said, "Hospitality is the practice of welcoming, sheltering, and feeding - with no thought of personal gain - those who come to your door. Hospitality is sharing what we have and who we are with whomever God sends."

"In the New Testament, Jesus modeled perfect hospitality as He moved beyond mundane physical needs to meet deeper needs of those who came to Him."

And my favorite thoughts to think about today were these:
"You can share your heart and life with others, even if the meal is simple and the setting in humble. The most important gift of welcome simply says I care, I love you, and I have prepared a place for you."

As I prayed and thought about these words today, I couldn't help think about the kids in orphanages, and one in particular only because I have personally met them. Each person will connect with whomever God has put in your path. I think about that exact message above. When people reach out and host these children, you are sharing Jesus with them through your love, by showing them you care, love them and have opened your home and hearts to them for a time. It is the same message we all want to hear from our Father in heaven. I, am so blessed that I know God cares, loves me and has a place prepared for me. I am praying that we can help spread this message to the orphans by modeling Jesus, and doing the same.

Have a blessed day!

No comments: